Thursday 8 January 2009

07. The Windmill Gastropub

The Windmill Gastropub
57 Cricklewood Broadway, 020 8450 4270

Gourmand writes: "You're more likely to find a synagogue in Gaza City," I wisecracked when I first heard rumours of a gastropub in Cricklewood. And, naturally enough, The Windmill is about as much of a gastropub as Gormless is a gourmand.

To be fair, we didn't eat from the gastropub menu, although this wasn't our fault. We presented my Taste London card, which is meant to get me half-price food, but it was rejected by the (very pleasant) woman behind the bar after she called her boss to check, and five minutes after she told us it would be fine. Not her fault at all, but by glancing into the open kitchen and listening to the whirr of the deep-fryer we got a strong feeling that ordering the pork belly would be a mistake.

There are two rooms at The Windmill - a quiet dining room totally lacking in atmosphere and a pub with football on big screens you can't see from most of the seats. We sat in front of an Everton game and ordered from the bar food menu. The food was poor and crazily overpriced. The nachos were puny tortilla chips with bargain basement salsa and a tiny portion of melted cheese; criminally guacamole was nowhere to be seen. My sausage sandwich was even worse. A single sliced sausage was presented in limply toasted rye bread with a few scraps of salad. We'll go back and eat from the main menu when they decide to accept my card, but after such pathetic pub grub our expectations are very low.
3/10


Gormless writes: If The Windmill had a description of their perfect customer, he would probably resemble me. For I am proud I choose FHM over Nuts, I tend to dress 'smart-casual' and not in sports gear and I look down on Wetherspoon's as a populist snare. I am also the kind of gormless twat who is content to sit in a low-concept gastropub and order overpriced food to accompany a neck-craning football 'experience'. Truly The Windmill and other pubs of its ilk have me stitched up: flatter my good taste and then present me with a weighty bill.
I had a plate of nachos while Gourmand suffered a sausage sandwich. The chef was more interested in flirting with the waitress then in preparing our food and both dishes - hard to get either that wrong - suffered. My nachos lacked the guacamole that's their birthright while Gourmand received a single sliced sausage for his outlay. We may return for full meals, but these items on the pub menu were very poor.
3/10

Overall score: 6/20
A rubbish effort by The Windmill

7 comments:

  1. Interesting. That place had a re-furb a while back and I was tempted to try the dining room bit. This does not bode well

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having suffered their sausage sandwich, I can't imagine them pulling off roast pork belly, which is on the menu. We'll go back some time and eat again, but the whole thing seems tired, expensive and confused.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "tired, exprensive and confused"

    Takes 1 2 kno 1 m8.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmm, a literal interpretation of the "sausage" sandwich (singular)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of new reviews coming soon, honest gov...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was doin a spot of passing the other night and I noticed that this place be down...some fire or something.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They had an (apparently 'convenient') fire in the spring, and reopened a month or so ago. The refurb has made the atmosphere far better (they've moved the bar into one of the corners), and the food (I had the roast chicken yesterday) was much improved: decent portions, good quality, and a good bit cheaper.

    ReplyDelete